Chevron Tutorial

I love chevron blankets.  They are retro and modern crochet all at the same time.  Pick a palette, go scrappy or just one solid color.  You really can't go wrong!  Once you get the hang of it, it is a "mindless" pattern, you don't have to concentrate to hard as you go along.  Just keep repeating yourself as you go along.

I, like most crocheter's out there LOVE the Attic24 Neat Ripple pattern.
I made this one for my Son before he was born.

 

When My sister asked me to make her a Chevron blanket I figured I would use her pattern again.
But after looking around at other patterns I decided I wanted a more dramatic chevron.
So I tweaked the pattern to my liking.

Here is a quick photo tutorial.

Chain a big long chain, depending on how wide you want your blanket / pillow / project.
I tend to freestyle, and not count stitches.  Yes it gets me in a pickle most of the time but its easy to add more foundation, or take some off when needed.


I started with *10 DC, 5 DC cluster (peak), 10 DC, 5 DC TOG (valley) then just repeat at * till you like how wide it is and I like to end with matching chevron peaks.
 


OK now here is where you can run into problems. Keeping the edges straight.

Chain 2 (this counts as your first DC)  skip the first stitch and DC 2 TOG in the next 2 spaces.  
So you now have a little decreased cluster of 3 DC.


That counts as one stitch, so now you need 9 more till you start your next peak.


This is where you get into the groove.
Peak, 10, Valley, 10 repeat till the end.


Now you will do the same 3 DC decrease cluster for the 10th stitch to straighten the edge.

 
Enjoy, share the pictures of your project!
Happy Hooking!!

UPDATE
I have been asked on the math/stitch count for this pattern.

Each "V" is 21 CH, to create the valley that is 5 CH, and the first DC for your row 1 is another 2 CH

So for a blanket with 5 "V" it is 127 stitches.
Another question I have gotten is the valley in row 2 does not mach up with row 1's valley.  Don't worry, the peaks match up every row, but the valley looks like it is off by one stitch.  Just keep going, odd rows mach up perfect, and even row's match up perfect.

 Let me know if this helps :)  Happy Hooking.

24 comments:

  1. Hi...Love this pattern...looking to make a 54x75 or so blanket. Not sure how many chains to start with. Suggestions? Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello KRISTA,
      It is about 6" per V, so you will want 9 v's. If my math is correct, which I have to say is not my strongest skill, 197 stitches.
      Let me know how it works out!

      Delete
    2. Just kidding..... You will need 229 chains.
      It hit me this morning I was only counting 1 chain for the valleys and there are 5 needed. So 229 should be correct.

      Delete
  2. Im trying to make this blanket. The circle that the valley creates are not matching up as i add rows. Im following the pattern as best as i can tell. The peaks seem to matching up fine. Do you have any idea what Im doing wrong?thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your not doing anything wrong. The Vally points don't match perfectly on every row, but every other row will.

      Delete
    2. So row 1 and 3 will be right on and row 2 and 4 will be right on. Let me know if that helps.

      Delete
  3. I love this pattern, but I'm having trouble starting out. How many do I chain? Example, do I chain a multiple of 17, a multiple of 18 plus 2, etc? That's where I'm having trouble.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With my gauge each "V" is about 6". To start how big to you want your blanket? The math for how many stitches to start with is as follows ... 26 stitches (one "v" x how many v's you want + 10 ( to make the sides match) Let me know if you have any other questions.

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much for the pictures! For a pattern illiterate like me, this is gold!

    I want to make this blanket for my little 4 month mister and we don't go to the store that often so I want the make sure I buy enough yarn. Can you give me an idea at about how many bundles of yarn one would need. Let's say for the size you made, how many did you need? I'll adjust it to the size I wanna make (54 x 60) thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. I made two blankets with this pattern, for the lap/twin size I used Red Heart Soft and went trough 3 balls of 6 colors.

      For a baby blanket I used about 1/3 ball of Red Heart Super Savor and 6 colors.

      How many colors are you going to use and what size ball of yarn?

      Delete
    3. I want to make a blanket approximately the same size but I was planning to use the big (300 gram) ball of red heart super saver. I want to use 3 colors (burgundy, black and dark grey) how many balls should i use??

      Delete
    4. I want to make the same sized blanket using three colors. I was planning to buy the Red Heart Super Saver in the Large Skein (14 oz ball) size. How many balls per color would you recommend?

      Delete
    5. Melanie, I think you would be ok with 2 balls each, but I would do 2 jumbo and 1 regular of each color just to be safe.

      Delete
  6. Hello, I love the pattern so far but at the end of the second row it says DC 2 TOG in the next 2, I hate to admit that I cannot for the life of me recall what TOG stands for. Thank you in advance for the information.

    ReplyDelete
  7. DC2TOG means together, so your are decreasing by one stitch. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omwrayCy3lM here is a link to a youtube video :) Enjoy let me know how it turns out!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So starting on the 2nd row in the valleys do you do the 5dctog or do you do the 3 dc decrease?

    ReplyDelete
  9. 5dctog, the 3dc dec is only used in the edges.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you thank you thank you!! I have been trying for hours to get my sharp peak chevron pattern to work out at each end and I just couldnt get the count right. You saved my sanity!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAY!! That makes me very happy :) That is the very reason I made this post. I had a hard time myself and could never figure out what I was doing wrong. :)

      Delete
  11. Somehow I can not get the hang of this pattern (which is sad, because it's the only one I've found with the dramatic chevron that I wanted)! I used your formula, and I wanted 5 peaks, so that came out to 142 stitches. Somehow, I ended up having 10 stitches left over after I completed 5 v's. No big deal, I just took out the extra stitches. However, then when I went up to the second row, the first peak worked out, the first valley didn't match up (though I read they would match every other row), and when I went to the second peak, I couldn't get it to match up. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. My stitch counts were right for the first row (10 peak 10 valley) so I must be messing the second row up somehow. I did skip the first dc like it says. Should I just keep crocheting to the peak and crochet 11 or 12 DC instead of 10? (I don't have the blanket in front of me so I don't remember how many stitches I had left to the peak) I really want to work this blanket and donate it to the hospital!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ok so for 5 peaks you need 125 stitches + 2 for the first DC. I need to do a chart diagram to go along with this formula to get the right stitch count.

      The Peak will match up perfect. But the Valley will look like it is one stitch off, but don't worry it is not. Row 1-3 match up and Row 2-4 will match up.

      Let me know how it works out :)

      Delete
  12. hi,
    i am fairly new to crochet and haven't done a "freestyle" pattern. how many stitches should i chain for a lapghan/twin type blanket? when purchasing yarn, how many yards do you think i will need?
    thank you so much for the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete